Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Hunger

I've also been experiencing hunger. Remember a few posts ago when I did my schtick on Longing? Well longing is kind of an enjoyable bittersweet thing that makes you wistful. Hunger is this dull ache that makes you feel dry and empty. You try to satisfy it but nothing really does. You can try to medicate yourself with food or TV or new things or lust (for power, for sex, for fast cars). Some even try to satisfy it with busyness or spending time with friends. But when you're hungry all those things leave you feeling even more hungry, more empty, less satisfied.

It was Pascal who said that we all have this space, this hole in our hearts that can only be filled with God. That's what I'm feeling right now. There is a deep hunger for more of God. My thought is that God does fill that hole but that we keep using up what He's filled it with. The translation for Ephesians 5:18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. is keep on being filled with the Spirit.

God fills us with His Spirit but we leak. I leak. I need filling. I need God. I need His Spirit. O Jesus I need you.

2 comments:

alan said...

Have you tried Falafels?
OK just kidding I know the feeling all to well. But remember it is an all yuou can est when it comes

alan said...

I have always said that you do not miss that which you "have never had" so this means you have been filled or fuller depending how you take it. Material things will sustitue for other material things but nothing else even comes close to the real thing! The love of God as delivered by Holy Spirit. THe whole world is set on buying a "feeling" yet the one thing you can not lose is free for eternity.